The Heavy Metal Muppets is a place for all things Metal with a particular emphasis on the London Underground Metal scene. We are a bunch of friends who have been into Metal since the late 80's and want to share our enthusiasm with anyone else who's prepared to listen. The format varies and we hope keeps it interesting for everyone, so keep your eyes peeled for reviews, interviews, memoirs and live videos amongst other things \m/

Monday 21 November 2011

Vader & Valkyrja - The Underworld, Camden, London - 14 November 2011

I had been looking forward to this gig for ages. Vader are one of the best bands around and you know their show is going to kick ass. On top of that I was meeting up with a good bunch of mates (Dan, Laura, Pat and Steffan) for this show. A swift couple of pints in The Worlds End started off the night nicely and then downstairs to The Underworld for Valkyrja.

Valkyrja
Valkyrja are one of those rare black metal bands that I actually like. Even though they look weird and “oh so terrifying” with their corpse paint on the music was awesome. The best way I can describe it is a massive almost anthemic sound. I reckon it has something partly to do with coming from Sweden. So much good stuff comes out of that country it’s ridiculous. The band wasn’t too over the top black metal, i.e. deliberately sounding shit, but performed nicely arranged songs with a vocalist that didn’t make you just want to leave. Overall a quality band that I would happily enjoy seeing again. They seemed to have a pretty large following as well judging by the audience reaction to them.

Vader
VADER,VADER, VADER!!! What an unbelievable band. This is proper death metal and I can’t get enough of it. The show was relentless and incredible. The only thing missing was stage diving. It seems to be the norm recently that older bands prefer it if they have the stage to themselves. Fair enough, although I would have loved to have given a cheeky dive to show my appreciation. They played every song with precision and we loved it, dark and old school groovy. There was obviously a high Polish contingency in the audience as Peter spoke quite frequently in his native tongue, which I liked. It kinda made me feel like I was witnessing a home show. What a fantastic gig, well worth the wait.




I’m not a fan of Gorgoroth who were headlining and decided to make an early exit for the Dev as soon as they started screeching away at us. I did try and give them the benefit of the doubt, but no... Sorry, but I just can’t take that stuff... Long may Vader reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment