The Heavy Metal Muppets is a place for all things Metal with a particular emphasis on the London Underground Metal scene. We are a bunch of friends who have been into Metal since the late 80's and want to share our enthusiasm with anyone else who's prepared to listen. The format varies and we hope keeps it interesting for everyone, so keep your eyes peeled for reviews, interviews, memoirs and live videos amongst other things \m/

Friday 28 January 2011

Bracewar - 27 January 2011

I know I said it would be Little Caesar up next but I managed to sneak another cheeky gig in first. Bracewar on Wednesday 27 January 2011.


So, Toes (my long suffering girlfriend) and I rock up to the Purple Turtle in Camden to see the mighty Bracewar. Toes is not a hardcore metal fan per se, but does enjoy the occasional outing. Anyway, we arrive and there's a fucking queue! Can you believe that shit? On a Wednesday night?! Fuck, I haven't bought tickets in advance for the first time in my life... We're not getting in.


So, we get in. First things first, let's get a pint. We slither over to the bar... And we find that there's no draught beer apparently. The cooler system apparently broke down just before everyone showed up apparently.  What a load of old bullshit apparently. Shame on you Purple Turtle for fobbing us off with old stock you need to get rid of apparently. So unsubtle. I'm very disappointed.


First band up, again I can't remember their name, I think it might have been Crossbreaker or something like that. I didn't really like these guys. I think the fact that their singer spent all night trying to avoid all eye contact with the audience was distracting. He just stood in the crowd like a weirdo. Seriously, he spent 30 seconds on stage with his back turned to us and then bounced off it into the crowd, where he spent the rest of the 15 minute set. Personally, I don't mind a bit of wandering but for the majority of the time I like to see the band on the stage... Call me old fashioned...


Up next, Breaking Point. Awesome. Really awesome. I think I said to Toes half way through the first song, "I think this is going to be the best band tonight". These guys had bags of energy and busted out some really great tunes. I will definitely be there for any gig they do in London in the future. Wicked show. Thanks guys.







Band three, Foundation. I liked the floppy haired vocalist, Tomas, very charismatic. The band had a heavy, hardcore kind of greatness cranking out of those amps. Absolutely loved these guys and so did the rest of the crowd by the looks of things. They kept the pressure on throughout the set, whipping us all into a punky, harcore frenzy. Again, one to revisit. Loved it. I particularly liked the fact that they were so blown away to be on tour in Europe that they told us all about their tourist outing to Big Ben. It was nice to see a band so excited about what they're doing and these guys are doing a great job too.



Finally, Bracewar. They certainly didn't disappoint. Right from the start they blitzed us with their relentless barrage of hardcore. Everyone was getting into it. I made my way to the front to get into the mosh. I don't care how old you are, it's never something you shouldn't be doing. I waded in for a few seconds before someone kicked me in the thigh. This was quickly followed with a blow to the face. Oh awesome, all the kids are doing that retarded hardcore dance with the windmill arms and capoeira legs. I do not understand this bullshit. It is literally the most anti social crap I have ever seen. A girl then gets punched in the face right next to me by a helicopter armed idiot. After a brief physical reprimanding from me these two fuckwits stop what they're doing. I hope things go back to the way we did things in the old days. What's wrong with regular moshing and stage diving? You can still go crazy for the band and not punch and kick people like a dick. I know it sounds cliched but it was better back then when people respected each other in the pit. Besides, any twat that hits a girl in the face doing that in my opinion needs a good slap themselves. Apart from that brief incident it was a thoroughly enjoyable night. Good work fellas.
Boojay & Ryan of Bracewar


Boojay

No comments:

Post a Comment