The Heavy Metal Muppets is a place for all things Metal with a particular emphasis on the London Underground Metal scene. We are a bunch of friends who have been into Metal since the late 80's and want to share our enthusiasm with anyone else who's prepared to listen. The format varies and we hope keeps it interesting for everyone, so keep your eyes peeled for reviews, interviews, memoirs and live videos amongst other things \m/

Friday 22 July 2011

Agnostic Front, First Blood & Pay No Respect - 20 July 2011 - Camden Underworld

Pay No Respect

I was joined this evening by my mate John for the Agnostic Front show at the Camden Underworld. I'd been itching to get to this gig because it feels like forever since my last outing and from experience you know that Agnostic Front are unlikely to disappoint.
 
Pay No Respect were the first band we caught. Unfortunately for them the sound was terrible which made their set almost uncomfortable to watch. This new type of hardcore that attracts the windmilling bellends gets on my nerves as regular readers of this blog well know, and they were in force during this set. I could slate the performance but I won't because I think they made a good effort but were severely let down by the sound. I'll reserve judgement for another time.
 
First Blood
First Blood were the next band we saw and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Of course there were the usual hardcore dancing dicks but it didn't bother me so much during this set. They play with an energy that is quite magnetic. After the disappointing band previously this was a breath of fresh air and an excellent warm up for what was to come. Definitely worth checking out if you like the hardcore stuff.
 
Agnostic Front
Agnostic Front were incredible. I've seen them many times over the years and their shows have always been highly charged but on this night it was taken another level. Roger Miret and his band of hardcore nutters whipped the crowd into an absolute frenzy. What was cool was that the crowd was thick enough to prevent the stupid dancing and what we were left with was a perfect pit. The stage diving was off the scale and the atmosphere prickled with old school New York hardcore goodness. I had a blast and it appeared everyone else did to. It must be such a trip playing in Agnostic Front and getting to experience that every night of your tour. Bang on, cracking stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment