The Heavy Metal Muppets is a place for all things Metal with a particular emphasis on the London Underground Metal scene. We are a bunch of friends who have been into Metal since the late 80's and want to share our enthusiasm with anyone else who's prepared to listen. The format varies and we hope keeps it interesting for everyone, so keep your eyes peeled for reviews, interviews, memoirs and live videos amongst other things \m/

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Seed of Detest, Eyes of Mutiny & F.S.I. - The Scream Lounge, Croydon - 5th May 2011

Goddamn! I've been really busy so it's taken me a while to get to this review. Sorry. This time I was joined by Lady Toes and we bumbled off to Croydon to watch Seed of Detest (I reviewed them the first time from the Metal 2 the Masses Heat 10 gig). We live in Wimbledon so it was the first time we got to use the Croydon Tram link, which was cool because it felt like we were on holiday. It took about fifteen minutes to get there and a short walk through sunny Croydon to arrive at The Scream Lounge. When you first walk in to this place it makes you feel as if they've just had a Christmas party and forgotten to take the decorations down. We ordered a couple of pints that were really cheap by London standards, served up by some jovial bar staff.
F.S.I.


Anyway, the gig was upstairs where they have a charming little stage. First band up was called F.S.I. They began with a weird keybord intro that evolved into a sort of sludgy, hardcore type of metal which is the best way I can describe it (think Mastadon). The guys in the band seem to have been doing this for a long time. They had a stage presence that made you believe that the unit had been together for ages. The guitarist, Dave, had me in stitches pretty much the whole way through their set with his onstage banter. I think the accord between bearded band members certainly endears you towards them. They put on an enjoyable show even though the music wasn't 100% my cup of tea. Entertaining for sure.

Eyes of Mutiny
Eyes of Mutiny are a metalcore band and they were second up. I am old school when it comes to my metal so I have the same niggle with this band as I do with almost every band like this. To me the whole fashion thing that goes along with this type of music seems odd to me, apart from the tattoos, the style seems to be akin to people on a beach holiday with clothes that don't fit very well. The band themselves seem pretty competent and comfortable on stage. For me it was only OK but that's probably because of my taste. The clear ability of these guys is not in question.

Boojay with Seed of Detest
Finally, the headliners, Seed of Detest. These guys are brilliant. Not only are they brilliant but they are also really good blokes. When Toes and I made our way up to the upstairs bar they made us feel very welcome. After chatting with them I was staggered at how young they were (19-20). They play like an extremely well accomplished assembly, both seriously tight and astonishingly engaging. The guys told us that their bassist Chris was out of action because he'd recently come out of hospital (our best wishes go out to him). This would be a problem for most bands, but not Seed of Detest. They played an excellent show and I'm very glad that Toes and I tripped over to see them. Roll on the next show, 15th May at Nambucca. I just can't ever see myself getting bored of this band.




Boojay

No comments:

Post a Comment